Welcome to May! The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer, and the city of Hamilton is brimming with exciting events and holidays. This month, we have two great opportunities to explore everything this area has to offer. First up is Mother’s Day weekend, and we’ve got some fantastic brunch options, high tea experiences, and more to help you treat the special ladies in your life. And with the Victoria Day long weekend just around the corner, it’s time to start getting ready for summer! Our team has put together a list of our favourite ways to enjoy the long weekend, from visiting feathered friends to watching a dazzling fireworks display.
Are you ready to enjoy all that Hamilton has to offer this May? Read on for all the fun you need to experience this month!
Treat Mom to Fun in Hamilton
Mother’s Day is an important day to show your appreciation for the amazing women in your life who have taken this role on, and what better way to do that than by treating her to a special day out in Hamilton? Here are some of our team’s favourite ways to celebrate Mother’s Day in the city:
- Hamilton has a fantastic brunch scene ready to be explored – why not treat her to a delicious brunch at one of the city’s top restaurants? Notable brunches include Motel, Barangas on the Beach, Baci Ristorante, Radius, Victoria’s Steak and Seafood, Rapscallion & Co., and Fisticuffs. Be sure to make a reservation to avoid disappointment, as these popular spots fill up quickly! If you’re in the mood for a different kind of brunch, take her to Mother’s Day Drag Brunch, hosted by HAMMER Entertainment, and get ready to meet a whole different kind of mother!
- For a more traditional Mother’s Day celebration, a classic high tea experience is always a good idea! Hamilton has several venues that offer this elegant pastime, including Tea at the White House, The Duchess Tea Room hosted by The EARLS of GRAY, and Tea with You. If you want to take things up a notch, you can attend the Mother’s Day Tea: Historic Cooking Workshop at Dundurn Castle. During this workshop, you’ll work with Dundurn’s cooks to prepare nineteenth-century recipes next to the wood-fired range and learn more about tea traditions. The workshop also includes a cozy early afternoon tea in the historic kitchen.
- If your mom has a good sense of humour, consider taking her to a Mother’s Day comedy show! the Brew HA-HA Comedy Show (Mother’s Day Special) at Clifford Brewing and Moms, Mirth and Mimosas at Tracie’s Place Restaurant and Karaoke both feature a lineup of motherly comics and guarantee the laughs will be flowing!
- If she’s into something a little more indulgent, she’ll love attending a chocolate and cheese-tasting event. The Udder Way Artisan Cheese Company is hosting a Mother’s Day Chocolate & Cheese Tasting in collaboration with Madam Bonbon. Enjoy four artisan cheeses and four artisan chocolate bonbons in the beautiful shop while learning more about them and different ways to enjoy them!
- If your mom loves to shop and eat, take her to the Lucky Lion Night Market’s Mother’s Day at the Bay at Bayfront Park. This event includes unique food vendors, merchants, entertainment, and interactive lion dancing all weekend long!
- Looking for a hands-on experience? The Always Bee Mothers Day Charcuterie Workshop ticket includes an Always Bee wooden board, honey dipper, fine cheeses, charcuterie, and all additional accompaniments for creating the perfect board. You’ll learn how to put together a beautiful charcuterie board that you can enjoy afterwards.
- In case of rain, you can take your mother to visit the beautiful Gage Park Tropical Greenhouse. It’s a great place to enjoy the lush greenery and colourful flowers, and it’s free to visit. You can take a leisurely stroll through the different sections of the greenhouse and enjoy the sights and smells of the different plants. It’s a peaceful and relaxing way to spend some quality time with your mom, rain or shine!
A Packed Long Weekend in Hamilton to Kickoff Summer
Of course, after Mother’s Day comes even more fun – the Victoria Day (or May 2-4) long weekend! If you’re planning on sticking around Hamilton or coming in for a visit, there’s plenty to do to keep you entertained and help you kick off the summer season. Whether you’re a fan of gardening, outdoor events, or simply looking for a family activity, you’ll no doubt find lots of great options to pack your weekend full of fun!
- Start off the weekend by getting your yard ready for summer with a visit to one of the local garden centres such as Holland Park, Harper’s Garden Centre or Winona Gardens. You’ll find a wide variety of plants, flowers, and fresh-made arrangements to choose from. Not sure where to get started? All of these spots have knowledgeable staff who are ready to get you garden-ready!
- On Sunday evening (May 21st), head over to the beautiful Dundas Driving Park for the Victoria Day Fireworks, a free, family-friendly event presented by the Rotary Club of Dundas Valley Sunrise and the City of Hamilton. Enjoy live music, face painting, and food trucks before the fireworks show at approximately 9:30 PM. Bring a picnic blanket or lawn chairs along and get there early to secure a great spot!
- For nature lovers, visit the Mountsberg Raptor Centre within Mountsberg Conservation Area. You’ll have a unique “nose-to-beak” experience with a variety of Ontario native birds of prey, including permanent residents unable to be released into the wild. This one is fun for the whole family – and the kids will love getting up close and personal with these incredible birds!
- If you’re looking for a cultural experience, visit the Concession Street BIA Sidewalk Sounds, which features local music and entertainment performances each Saturday from May through September starting on May 20th. Visit local businesses and grab a bite to eat as you enjoy great performances throughout the day.
- Celebrate World Bee Day with Humble Bee at the Hamilton Public Library Central Branch. Luc Peters will discuss the responsibilities of a beekeeper and how to make the world better for pollinators. You’ll learn all about the amazing things that these insects do and tips to support them!
- Take in a drive-in movie at Hamilton’s Starlite Drive-In. Pack the car for a cozy night and enjoy watching new releases under the stars. Make sure you arrive early to get settled in and find the perfect vantage point!
- Join in on the Distinguished Gentlemen’s Ride to raise funds and awareness for men’s mental health and prostate cancer research. This one-day event, taking place on May 21st, is a great way to give back while enjoying a motorcycle ride with other distinguished gents!
- Spots fans, we didn’t forget about you! Forge FC hosts Vancouver FC at Tim Hortons Field on May 19th. It will be a fun night full of cheer, excitement… And, hopefully, a win!
As you can see, Hamilton is buzzing with exciting events and activities to enjoy this spring. Whether you’re treating your mother to a special day or celebrating the unofficial start of summer with the Victoria Day long weekend, we know that you’ll find no shortage of fun to enjoy this month!
If you’re looking to make Hamilton your permanent home or considering a move to the area, our team of Coldwell Banker Community Professionals agents are here to help. Contact us today to learn more about the local real estate market and find your dream home in Hamilton or the surrounding area. Happy spring!